NORWALK-ONTARIO-WILTON-BROOKWOOD SCHOOL NEWSLETTER
Norwalk-Ontario-Wilton School District Web site - www.now.k12.wi.us.
BROOKWOOD MORNING ANNOUNCEMENTS: if you are interested in seeing the Brookwood Morning Announcements, please go to our web site www.now.k12.wi.us click on BHS Daily Announcements. They are posted daily. If you have any questions please call (608)337-4401.
Parents can now use their Credit Card to pay for School Lunch and Other School related Fees. Please see the attached flyer if you wish to make student lunch and student fee payments on line using your credit card.
MENU FOR NEXT WEEK -- (FEBRUARY 15-19)
Monday – Popcorn Chicken, Dinner Roll, Sweet Tots, Veggie & Fruit Bar, Bread & Milk
Tuesday – Fish, Cole Slaw, Garlic Bread, Veggie & Fruit Bar, Bread & Milk
Wednesday – Taco, Refried Beans, Carrot Cake, Veggie & Fruit Bar, Bread & Milk
Thursday – Roast Turkey, Whipped Potato, Carrots, Cranberry Sauce, Veggie & Fruit Bar, Bread & Milk
Friday – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS – WWEC CONVENTION
***NEXT Friday, February 19th THERE will be NO SCHOOL DUE TO WWEC Convention***
YOUTH OPTIONS DEADLINE: Students who are interested in the Youth Options Program for the fall of 2016 should see Mr. Pettit. The enrollment deadline is March 1, 2016
2015-16 SCHOOL EVENTS
Friday, February 12 Junior High Valentines Dance 3:30-5:30 P.M. – High School Commons
Friday, February 19 WWEC Convention – No School for students
Tuesday, February 23 Forensics Sub District @ Royall
Monday, February 29 Progress Reports Due 8 AM
Tuesday, March 1 Youth Option enrollment papers due today!
Wednesday, March 2 National Read Across America Day, aka Dr. Seuss Day
Wednesday, March 2 National Honors Society Applications Deadline
Wednesday, March 2 Early Release for students @ 1:30 PM
March 7-11 NATIONAL BREAKFAST WEEK
Saturday, March 12 Forensics @ UW-La Crosse (tentative)
March 15-24 Europe Trip
March 11, 12 & 13 High School Play “A Midsummer’s Night Dream”
Thursday, March 24 End of third quarter
March 25 – March 29 Spring Break
Wednesday, March 30 School Resumes
Wednesday, March 30 Grades Due @ 8 AM
Thursday, March 31 National Honors Society Induction Ceremony – Starting @ 7:00 P.M.
Saturday, April 9 Prom (8:00 PM – 11:45 PM)
Thursday, April 14 Child Development Day
April 15-16 Forensics State UW Madison
Wednesday, April 20 Early Release for students at 1:30 PM
Monday, May 2 Community Night starting @ 5:30 P.M.
FROM THE SCHOOL NURSE – CARMEN PETERSON (337-4401 EXT. 373): The Jr. High and High School have had many absentees due to sicknesses this week. We do not have any confirmed cases of strep or influenza at this time. Please remember that the number one way to fight illnesses is through good hand washing. Please use hand sanitizers that are available throughout the building and scrub hands with soap and water throughout the day. If you are not feeling well, please come down to the nurse's office to see me before texting your parents to come get you from school.
· Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue away after use and wash your hands. If a tissue is not available, cover your mouth and nose with your sleeve, not your hand.
· Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
· Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill.
Special Olympics News: Congratulations to the Brookwood Special Olympics basketball players on their win over LaFarge on Saturday. Everyone had a great time and played well!! Our next game will be Saturday Feb. 27th 10:00 here at Brookwood. Come show your support and help cheer on our Special Olympics athletes.
NOWEA Scholarship: The application is due March 4, 2016 by 4:00 p.m. This application is for the $500 scholarship to be given out by the N.O.W.E.A in the spring. To qualify for this scholarship you must have: Graduated from Brookwood High School, be at least a full-time junior or higher at a university, and include your latest transcript from the university which you are attending. Preference will be given to those accepted into the college of education if official proof (such as a copy of certificate) is given. How to Apply: This application is available in the high school office on our web site www.now.k12.wi.us and also attached with this Newsletter. Once completed, forms should be submitted via e-mail attachment to Pam Campos (firstname.lastname@example.org) or may be faxed (608)337-4759. . If you have any questions, you may call Pam Campos at 337-4401.
JR high Valentine's Dance – TOMORROW, Friday Feb 12th 3:30-5:30 p.m. in the High School Commons $3 admission, Concessions available. Permission slips for the Dance (PINK) are right outside the high school office. Permission slips are due by TOMORROW, Friday, February 12th – NOON – NO PHONE CALLS! Sponsored by Jr. High Student Council, Proceeds go to American Cancer Society
Emergency School Closings: Please listen to the following TV and Radio Stations if inclement weather comes our way. School is usually delayed or cancelled no later than 6:45 a.m. Television: WXOW TV 19, WKBT TV 8 Radio: WCOW 97.1 FM, WIZM 93.3 FM, WVRQ 102 FM, and WBOG 94.5 FM.
Wisconsin Elks Association/U.S. Constitution Contest: Due: February 12, 2016
UW Richland: Due: March 1, 2016
Morrow Home Memorial: Due: March 1, 2016
Better Business Bureau: Due: March 2, 2016
Rockton Sportsman’s Club: Due: March 4, 2016
WI Cattlemen/Cattlewomen: Due: March 7, 2016
Monroe County Farm Bureau: Due: March 15, 2016
Wisconsin 4-H Foundation: Due: March 15, 2016
Jack D. Wilson Nursing: Due: March 15, 2016
NEW: Dennis Hubbard Safety Patrol Alumni: Due: April 5, 2016
West Central Wisconsin SHRM Scholarship: Due April 8, 2016
WI Towns Association: Due: May 30, 2016
Wisconsin American Legion Americanism: Check Website for due dates
Minority Student Scholarships available at: www.msan.wceruw.org
LOCAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS – STOP IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE OR CHECK THE
SENIORS – Check your college website for scholarship opportunities!
Schoolsoup.com/scholarship is a website for many available scholarships for Wisconsin students.
2016 CHILD DEVELOPMENT DAYS: The School District of Norwalk-Ontario-Wilton, in cooperation with surrounding communities and agencies that provide services to families with young children, will host the 2016 Child Development Day on April 14 from 3:30-6:30 in the Elementary Gym. This will include a booth for registration for 4K. They need to be 4 before September 1, 2016. Families who are on our census will receive a letter towards the end of March with more information. If you are not sure if you are on the list, please call Kathy Jones at 337-4420.
Families with children between the ages of 2 years 10 months to 4 years will be invited to celebrate their child’s development. Parents, as your child’s first teacher we recognize you as partners in your child’s education. This informal screening allows your child to play with others while observers complete a developmental checklist which is shared with parents. Agencies from the community will offer a wealth of materials to inform you of resources available in this area. Car seat safety information will be available as well as an onsite inspection at you request.
Child Development Day has three primary goals:
1. To provide families with information concerning children’s normal sequence of growth and development from birth to age 5.
2. To provide families with information regarding service available in the community and county.
3. To identify young children who may need a further assessment in the following areas: physical, sensory, personal, social, adaptive, large and fine motor, communication and cognition.
We need your support to assist with our Child Find Program. If you are aware of any children of the above ages, please contact Kathy Jones at 337-4420 extension 378.
Come share a half hour or so with your child. This is a celebration to support families whose young children are our future!
N-O-W Girl Scouts are having a Girl Scout Cookie Sale - Where: N-O-W Elementary - When: saturady, February 27th, 9am-12pm - $4.00 per box.
Ontario Public Library News: Laurie Erickson - Library Director -email@example.com 608-337-4651
· Tax time is upon us. The library has Wisconsin forms and instructions. We just received Federal 1040 A and 1040 EZ instructions. The 1040 instructions are not ready yet, but are hopefully coming. We have or can print Federal forms for you.
· Preschool Play Groups meet each Wednesday at 10:00am for children ages 3-5 years old. Bring your child or grandchild and enjoy stories, activities and crafts that are fun and promote school readiness.
· The Community Garden group will meet Friday, Feb. 12 at 12:00pm to discuss plans for this year’s garden. Come and help us plan. There are many ways to be involved and we would love to have YOUR input.
· Susan Case won this week’s drawing for the Let It Snow adult reading program. She won candy and some foot warmers to enhance her reading pleasure.
· The Book Group will be discussing Being Mortal by Atul Gawande on Wed. March 9. There will be a viewing of the PBS documentary Being Mortal at 1:00pm. The Book Discussion is at 2:00pm. At 3:00pm Anne Heath from Scenic Bluffs Healthcare will provide information on how to share your choices for how you would like to be cared for when you are no longer able to make those decisions. You will have the opportunity to complete an Advanced Directive, if desire. You are invited to attend any or all of the three programs. Death is something we will all face one day, but it can be hard to talk about. Come and explore how to let others know your wishes.
NORWALK LIBRARY INFO: Jeanne Rice - Library Director - (608) 823-7473 firstname.lastname@example.org
· Friday, March 4th, 2016 from 1:30 to 2:30 pm the Mystery Book Group will discuss The Hard Way, by Lee Child, the 10th book in the Jack Reacher series. From NoveList, provided by BadgerLink: "...[E]x-military cop Reacher sees more than most people would, and because of that, he's thrust into an explosive situation that's about to blow up in his face. ... Jack Reacher was alone, the way he liked it, soaking up the hot, electric New York City night, watching a man cross the street to a parked Mercedes and drive it away. The car contained one million dollars in ransom money. And Edward Lane, the man who paid it, will pay even more to get his family back. Lane runs a highly illegal soldiers for hire operation. He will use any amount of money and any tool to find his beautiful wife and child."
· The N-O-W Traveling Preschool Playgroup will visit the library Wednesday, March 2nd, 2016 from 10 to 11:30 am. The theme will be Dr. Seuss Birthday. Stories will be read, crafts made, games played, and treats eaten. The Playgroup will also be here Wednesday, March 30th, 2016 from 10 to 11:30 am.
· . The theme will be Spring!
WILTON LIBRARY NEWS: Gina Rae - Library Director – (608)435-6710 email@example.com
· We have one more way to help you enjoy Brookwood's performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream...read the play! Our library book discussion group will be reading Shakespeare this month, attending the production and discussing both on Monday, March 14th. Contact the library if you'd like to participate. The library will be showing "The Dream" episode of PBS's Shakespeare Uncovered on February 19th at 10am, 1pm & 4pm. This is a "no school" day so we are inviting both students and adults to attend. The episode is hosted by Downton Abbey's Hugh Bonneville.
· Citizen Scientist Ben Johnston will be returning to the library on Friday, March 11 at 10:30 am to teach frog calls and the procedure for participating in the Wisconsin Frog and Toad Survey. There are only 12 species of frogs in Wisconsin. Learn them now so when the peepers signal the return of spring you will not mistake them for a cricket frog.
· Mrs. Johnson and Mrs. Kelly will be joining our preschool play group on February 17th. All children, birth to Kindergarten are encouraged to join us for stories, crafts and a snack.
· We are offering a chance for adults to destress the second and fourth Tuesday of every month with our adult coloring group. We will have plenty of supplies for beginners. Our next gathering is on February 23th at 4pm.
· The library's chess club: The Check Mates will meet on the first and third Tuesday of every month. Our next meeting is February 16th at 4pm. Players of all levels of experience are invited to attend.
· Homeschooling families will gather on February 26th from 10-12. We offer space for homeschool families to meet and share ideas as well as a craft for the kids.
· Things might be a bit messy when you visit the library this week. We will begin to paint our space on February 9th. The library will remain open regular hours during this time and ask for your patience. After 15 years at the Community Center we are excited for the change.
BROOKWOOD ATHLETICS February 11 - 20, 2016
Thursday, February 11
· HS Girls Basketball hosts Royall: JV 6:00; Varsity 7:30
( 5th Girls play at Halftime of Varsity game / Approximately 7:45 )
· HS Boys Basketball at Coulee Region Christian ( Varsity Only ): 7:30
( Charlie Neumann / BHS 5:45; Return 10:30 )
· JH Wrestling at North Crawford: 5:30
( Jim Kuderer / BHS 3:35; Return 10:30 )
Friday, February 12
· HS Boys Basketball hosts Bangor: C 4:50 ( MS Gym ); JV 6:00 ( MS Gym ); Varsity 7:30 ( HS Gym )
Varsity Girls Basketball hosts Hillsboro ( HS Gym ): 6:00
( 3rd – 4th Girls play at Halftime of Varsity game / Approximately 6:20 )
Saturday, February 13
· Regional Wrestling at Hillsboro: 10:00
( Jim Kuderer / Norwalk 7:10; Wilton 7:20; Ontario 7:30; Return 6:00 )
Monday, February 15
· HS Boys Basketball at Westby: C / C 6:00; Varsity 7:30
( Charlie Neumann / BHS 4:40; Return 9:30 )
· JH Wrestling at Necedah: 5:30
( Curt Brieske / BHS 4:00; Return 9:30 )
· JV Girls Basketball hosts Triangular vs Bangor & New Lisbon: 5:30
Tuesday, February 16
· HS Girls Basketball at Wonewoc Center: JV 6:00; Varsity 7:30
( Jim Kuderer / BHS 4:30; Return 10:00 )
· JH Wrestling hosts Invite: 5:30
· JH Girls Basketball at New Lisbon: 6:20; 7:10
( Josh Curtis / BHS 5:00; Return 9:15 )
Thursday, February 18
· JH Girls Basketball hosts Triangular vs Viroqua & Hillsboro: 5:30; 7:10
· HS Boys Basketball at Royall: JV 6:00; Varsity 7:30
( Steve Vieth / BHS 4:45; Return 9:45 )
· C Squad Girls Basketball at Mauston: 5:50
( Jim Summerfield / BHS 4:25; Return 8:00 )
Friday, February 19
· HS Girls Basketball hosts Cashton: C 5:00; JV 6:00; Varsity 7:30
( 6th Girls play at Halftime of Varsity game / Approximately 7:45 )
Saturday, February 20
· Sectional Wrestling at Mineral Point: 10:00
( Jim Kuderer / Norwalk 5:25; Wilton 5:35; Ontario 5:45; Return 7:00 )
· JH Girls Basketball at Kickapoo: 9:00
( Curt Brieske / Norwalk 7:30; Wilton 7:40; Ontario 7:50; Return 3:00 )
· 5th – 6th Boys Basketball at Viroqua: 5th 9:00; 6th 10:00
· 5th – 6th Girls Basketball at Hillsboro: 5th 9:00; 6th 10:00
· 3rd – 4th Girls Basketball at New Lisbon: Times TBA
The recent weather issues have caused us to shift several contests. The most notable changes will be seen on Friday, February 12. On that night, we will host Bangor for Boys Basketball. We will also now be hosting Hillsboro for Girls Basketball. This means that the Girls Basketball game at DeSoto has been bumped, and may or may not be rescheduled. We’re working on that one. On February 12, he schedule will be as follows:
4:50 PM: C Squad Boys Basketball hosts Bangor ( MS Gym )
6:00 PM: JV Boys Basketball hosts Bangor ( MS Gym )
Varsity Girls Basketball hosts Hillsboro ( HS Gym )
7:30 PM: Varsity Boys Basketball hosts Bangor ( HS Gym )
- Tickets purchased on February 12 will allow you to attend any of the games that evening -
ATHLETIC SCHEDULE CHANGES!
· Friday, 2/12: Varsity Girls BB vs Hillsboro: 6:00 ( NO JV! )
· Tuesday, 2/16: JH Wrestling hosts Invite: 5:30
UPCOMING YOUTH BASKETBALL EVENTS
Saturday, 2/20: 5 – 6 Boys Driftless League @ Viroqua: 9:00
5 – 6 Girls Driftless League @ Hillsboro: 9:00
3 – 4 Girls @ New Lisbon Playday: Times TBA
Saturday, 2/27: 5 – 6 Boys Driftless League End-of-Year Tourney @ Viroqua: Times TBA
5 – 6 Girls Driftless League End-of-Year Tourney @ Royall: Times TBA
Saturday, 3/5: 3 – 4 – 6 Girls @ Kickapoo Playday: Times TBA
5 Girls @ LaFarge Tourney: Times TBA
3-4-5-6 Boys @ Necedah Playday: Times TBA
February 11 – March 5, 2016
(SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 11th
· 3rd Girls & 4th Boys Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM MS Gym
· 5th Girls play at Halftime of Varsity game / Approximately 7:45 HS Gym
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12th
· 5th Girls Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM EL Gym
· 3rd – 4th Girls play at Halftime of Varsity game / Approximately 6:20 HS Gym
· 6th Boys Practice 6:55 – 8:10 PM EL Gym
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 13th
· 1st & 2nd Boys & Girls FINAL Practice 8:00 – 9:15 AM EL Gym
· 3rd – 4th Boys Practice 8:00 – 9:15 AM HS Gym
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15th
· 5th Boys & Girls Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM MS Gym
· 3rd Girls & 4th Boys Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM EL Gym
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16th
· 3rd Boys & 4th Girls Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM MS Gym
· 6th Girls Practice 6:00 – 7:15 PM EL Gym
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19th
· 6th Boys Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM EL Gym
· 6th Girls play at Halftime of Varsity game / Approximately 7:45 HS Gym
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 20th
· 5th – 6th Girls at Hillsboro 5th 9:00; 6th 10:00 Hillsboro HS/EL
· 5th – 6th Boys at Viroqua 5th 9:00; 6th 10:00 Viroqua HS
· 3rd – 4th Girls at New Lisbon Playday Times TBA New Lisbon HS
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22nd
· 5th – 6th Boys Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM MS Gym
· 5th Girls Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM EL Gym
· 5th – 6th Boys play at Halftime of Varsity game / Approximately 7:45 HS Gym
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 23rd
· 6th Girls Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM MS Gym
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25th
· 3rd Girls & 4th Boys Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM HS Gym
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26th
· 3rd Boys & 4th Girls Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM MS Gym
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 27th
· 5th – 6th Girls Driftless League at TBA 9:00 AM TBA
· 5th – 6th Boys Driftless League at TBA 9:00 AM TBA
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 29th
· 5th – 6th Girls Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM HS Gym
· 3rd Boys & 4th Girls Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM MS Gym
· 3rd Girls Practice 5:40 – 6:55 PM EL Gym
TUESDAY, MARCH 1st
· 4th Boys Practice 3:20 – 4:35 PM EL Gym
THURSDAY, MARCH 3rd
· 5th – 6th Boys Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM HS Gym
· 5th – 6th Girls Practice 5:40 – 7:00 PM MS Gym
SATURDAY, MARCH 5th
· 5th Girls at Necedah Playday Times TBA Necedah HS
· 3rd – 4th – 6th Girls at Kickapoo Playday Times TBA Kickapoo HS
· 3-4-5-6 Boys at Necedah Playday Times TBA Necedah HS
· MARCH 5TH IS THE LAST DAY OF THE 2015 – 2016 YOUTH BASKETBALL SEASON!
· PARENTS & PLAYERS: PLEASE RETURN YOUR JERSEYS TO YOUR COACHES OR MR. CLINTON AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
· THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE 3rd – 4th PLAYDAY A BIG SUCCESSS!